child Custody By Extended Family Member

Knowledgeable and experienced concurrent or temporary child custody attorney

In Florida, an extended family member may obtain temporary or concurrent custody

of a minor child currently living with the family member


An extended family member is defined as a relative of a minor child within the third degree by blood or marriage to the parent; or the stepparent of a minor child if the stepparent is currently married to the parent of the child and is not involved in any pending family law cases involving any of the biological parents as an adverse party.  The Petition for Temporary or Concurrent Custody may be filed if the person filing has obtained the written, notarized consent of both legal parents of the child, or upon the showing that the parent who’s consent has not been obtained is unfit to provide for care and control of the minor child. 

For parents who are considering consenting to concurrent or temporary custody or have been presented with a petition for concurrent or temporary custody, it is best to first seek competent legal advice and representation from an experienced family law attorney before signing any consent forms given that there are important consequences that may follow that decision.

Likewise, if you are an extended family member who is uniquely situated to petition the court for concurrent or temporary custody of a minor child, you should consult with an experienced family law attorney for representation prior to taking any action.